The Sensonics Snap & Sniff odor identification test is an user-friendly smell identification test with 16 different odors. It is designed to determine the ability of the testsubject to identify comon odors.
This smell identification test includes an ergonomically-designed carrying case and English administration manual.
Odor identification test
The 16 odors which are included in this odor identification test are: orange, peppermint, turpentine, clove, leather, banana, garlic, rose, fish, lemon, coffee, anise, cinnamon, licorice, apple, and pineapple.
Answer sheet shows options in picture and word format to allow for use with adults and children, including non-English speakers. The odorants in this test are chosen for cross-cultural familiarity.
How does the odor identification test work?
When the operator’s thumb pushes forward on a slide mechanism, the odorized tip is exposed and presented to the subject. Releasing the slide mechanism retracts the odorized tip back in the wand’s housing. Because the odorant is presented briefly, the odor is retained for much longer periods and can be used for testing many more subjects than devices lacking such sophisticated technology.
The identification test administration will take around 10-15 minutes. The test can be performed as a bilateral evaluation (both nostrils) or as a unilateral evaluation.
Test procedure Snap & Sniff Test
- Take one of the rods (sticks) from the box. Present the sticks in the order as indicated on the response form.
- Hold the tip of the rod under the subject’s nose, close to the nostrils (1-2 cm).
- Press forward with your thumb on the sliding collar to release the odor
- Hold for 3 to 5 seconds and instruct the testperson to smell.
- Aks the testperson to point to the picture/ name that most smells like the odor they just smelled. They have to make a choice even if they don’t know the answer.
- Close the odor tip by releasing the sliding collar or by pushing it back toward the bottom of the rod and place the rod back into the box.
If the subject is self-adminstering the test, instruct the subject to place an X on the picture/ name of the registation form.
Recording of responses
The sticks are labeled from 1 to 16, the response form provides an easy to follow pattern of presentation. For each line on the response sheet, an X should have been placed over the picture/ name of the odor identified by the subject. Once the test is complete, place a check in the box on the right of each correctly identified odor. Count these checks for the result of the test.
Refilling the Snap & Sniff tests
Are you using the Snap & Sniff test and do you want to refill them? We can refill the sticks (wands) for you and send them back. This will give you recharged wands so you can continue using the same kit. This is a sustainable way of smell testing and prevents unnecessary waste.
Contact us for more information about refilling the Snap & Sniff tests.