Bayer’s Ketostix (also called Ketosticks) are urine test strips designed to detect ketones in the urine.
These urine strips are supplied in a pack of 50 strips and are available from stock.
The Ketostix are easy to use and require only a small amount of urine to give a result. The test strip is simply dipped in the urine and after a few seconds the color of the strip changes. By comparing the color change with the color chart on the package, the amount of ketones in the urine can be determined.
These urine strips are reliable and sensitive, meaning they can detect even small amounts of ketones. This makes them ideal for use in diabetic patients who need to monitor ketosis. Also, the keto sticks are helpful for people following a low carbohydrate diet.
Instruction Ketosticks urine strips
- Collect a urine sample in a clean and dry urine cup (possibly with a lid)
- Open the package containing the strips and use within the expiration date.
- Hold the test strip by the ends and immerse the reagent zone of the test strip in the urine for approximately 1-2 seconds.
- Remove the test strip from the urine cup and wipe off the excess urine on the rim of the container.
- Place the test strip on a flat surface and wait for 1 minute, now the colors are completely discolored and you can interpret the result.
- Compare the colors on the test strip with the color chart on the package.
Remember never to touch the test area of the strip with your fingers! This can affect the results, if you accidentally touch it, we advise you to grab a new test strip.
What are Ketones?
Ketones are produced by the body when it does not have access to enough glucose (sugar) as a fuel source. Instead, the body turns to breaking down fats to produce ketones. These can then be used as an alternative energy source.
The ketones can be created in different situations, such as:
- prolonged effort,
- a low-carbohydrate diet,
- in people with diabetes
In people with diabetes, ketone production can increase due to insufficient insulin production or an inadequate response to insulin, leading to a serious and potentially life-threatening condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis.
Why test with Ketostix for ketones?
Testing for ketones in the urine can be helpful in determining if the body is in a state of ketosis. In people with diabetes, a ketone test can help detect diabetic ketoacidosis early, which requires immediate medical attention. In addition, testing for ketones in people on a low-carb diet can help track the progress of the diet and determine if the person is in a state of ketosis.